October 2013 e-missive
What a fall we’ve had! The weather has bounced back to more of what we consider “normal”. After cancelling last month’s meeting, we will meet Oct. 10 at Exempla St. Joseph’s Hospital. Free parking is available. Dinner will be served in the Russell Pavilion, located on 20th St. between Franklin and Downing on the north side of the hospital. Our meeting will start promptly at 1800 in the Ranier auditorium. No outside food/beverages are allowed in the auditorium, so please plan on arriving promptly at 1730.
The evening promises to be packed with opportunities to learn, contribute, and participate. Be prepared to:
1. Review, discuss, and approve the changes to the bylaws (plus give Amanda Brown a huge shout-out for working so hard on this).
2. Choose the first Project of the Month. Your board of directors thought it would be a good idea to extend some support to the flood victims, possibly with a donation to the Red Cross.
3. Attend the educational session presented by Dr. Mark Ammons and Dr. Will Anderson on “Trans-Catheter Aortic Valve Replacement” (TAVR). After the program, time permitting, all who are interested can take a “bunny suit” tour of the Hybrid OR where these procedures are performed. A representative from the Cath Lab will also be available to demonstrate the unique capabilities of this OR.
4. Consider attending the 2014 AORN Expo in Chicago as a delegate. Bring your completed points tally form to the meeting to expedite the process. Nominations will also be taken from the floor.
5. Sign up to either attend or volunteer at the Fall Workshop, to be held Nov. 22 at Presbyterian St. Luke’s. Flyers are available on our website, as well as at the meeting.
Since we have so much packed into our chapter/educational sessions, we will utilize dinner as a “lunch and learn” where Peggy Camp and Teresa Nino will describe an exciting new multi-specialty educational opportunity. The chapter will have a chance to recommend speakers/topics for the conference’s “Patient safety” theme.
This will be your last chance to volunteer for committees for the 2013-2014 year. There are tons of opportunities that will fit even the busiest schedule. So come on down to St. Joseph’s on Thursday-you won’t want to miss a minute of this meeting!
Julie Mower, DAORN President