Thursday, Sept. 11, 2019
Location: St. Joseph’s Hospital, Denver, CO
Meeting called to order at 1904 by Karen Elliott, President. Attendees were asked to observe a moment of silence for Peggy Camp.
1. Glenn Fricke, Encision, was introduced and thanked for providing dinner and the evening’s education topic, “Improving Outcomes in Laparoscopy through Better Techniques and Technology: A Focus on Electrosurgery.”
2. Minutes are posted on ORNurselink and Chapter website. May 2019 minutes were reviewed and approved.
3. Finance report (Mary Jo) See attached.
4. Casino Night: Ellen has been approached by industry to sponsor one of the gaming tables. Prices are going up for registration after tomorrow. The committee sampled hors oeuvres that will be served. There will be contests with great prizes, and lots of trips (Africa, Mexico). All 4 scholarship recipients have been invited to attend.
4.St. Joseph’s is offering a CNOR prep for cert class in August. A portion of the proceeds were presented to DAORN via Kim Caeser.
3. DAORN membership has decreased to 640 members. Discussion in Town Hall recommended surveying membership to determine best practices for chapter as one way to encourage participation in chapter meetings.
4. Surgical Conference and Expo 2020
a. Nominating committee (Ron Jagersky):
- Submit forms to serve as a delegate to Surgical Conference and Expo (2020) to the nominating committee. Updated sheets will be on the website.
- Consider serving as an officer for the 2020-2021 year. Open positions are:
- Board members x2
- Nominating committee x1
b. A nomination form for the Large Chapter of the Year award is being submitted. Deadline is Dec. 31, 2019. The form must include 3 major accomplishments by the chapter. DAORN accomplishments include:
Collaboration of successful Surgical Smoke bill
Awarding funds to 4 nursing scholarships
Launching a DAORN Facebook page
Nightingale Luminary recipient winner Peggy Camp
c. Ellen Lord has been nominated for the Leader/Educator award.
Submission deadline is October 8, 2019. The award committee is working on this.
d. DAORN can seat 24 delegates. The board will determine funding for delegates. President and President-Elect will serve as funded delegates.
5. Scholarships: Tax-exempt donations may be made directly to the AORN Foundation for Peggy Camp or Bill Lord. Please designate to which fund money is being donated.
6. Policies and board/committee chair positions:
Final revisions are being made to the following: President, President-Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, Board Member, Committee Chair, Awards, Bylaws, Education Committee, Legislative Committee, Membership Committee, and Nominating Committee. The Teller Committee has been absorbed into the Nominating Committee.
7. Accountability standards: Board members are completing the form.
8. Meeting update:
- Kim Caesar is exploring the possibility of the chapter participating in the St. Patrick’s Day parade. Details are pending.
- An application to AORN for $125 to help pay for social event for May installation of officers is being submitted.
9. Spring Workshop: Save the date for Friday, April 17 at the Lowry Convention Center. Please submit ideas for speakers to chairpersons Lesia Hatlestad or Julie Mower. Planning committee will convene beginning in October.
11. Other: Peggy Camp’s family thanked the chapter for sending the flowers and fruit basket during Peggy’s illness.
October 12, 080-1030, Swedish Medical Center
Education: Speaker Victoria Steelman