Hello lovely DAORN people,
To mix things up a bit, we will be holding our March Chapter Meeting as a social event downtown this year. Please join us to watch the St. Patrick’s Day parade on March 14 at 09:00 AM at the Wynkoop Brewing Company on 1634 18th Street, Denver, CO 80202 . No formal business meeting will be held, nor will there be any educational session. But, there will be green beer! 🙂
The Denver St. Patrick’s Day Parade is a festive and fun event for all ages that celebrates Irish culture and heralds the start of spring. It’s one of the largest St. Patty’s day parades west of the Mississippi and the largest annual parade in Denver, with more than 200,000 people lining the route to enjoy horses and stagecoaches, marching bands, dancers, floats and Irish-themed fun with a Western flair.
Some of us will be at Wynkoop as early as 8:30 am to get in line.
Hello lovely DAORN people,
Please mark your calendars for our next chapter meeting this coming Thursday, January 9, 2020 at Lutheran Medical Center in Wheat Ridge.
1700: Q&A with current Board members about duties of the Board, DAORN membership, Board mentorship
1730: Dinner at networking
1800: Education session, Topic: Intraoperative Transfusion Reduction Strategies
1905: Business meeting
We look forward to seeing you there!If you cannot be there in person, but would like attend via call-in, please dial Call-in: 1-866-740-1260; Access Code: 5177749
Saturday, October 12, 2019
Swedish Medical Center
Karen Elliott, Chapter President, called the meeting to order at 1000. Swedish Medical Center and Patti Bichsel were thanked for sponsoring our meeting. Sandi Lindahl was thanked for facilitating a very popular team building exercise.
There were 14 members and 1 guest in attendance.
1. Minutes were approved as written with an addendum provided by Karen Elliott.
2. Treasurer’s report (Mary Jo Steiert): See attached.
- Some expenses from Casino Night are still pending. Approximately $4,000 profit was recognized from Casino Night.
- DAORN may be changing banks due to lack of responsiveness to our needs from current bank.
- DAORN membership stands at 644. DAORN receives $12,880 from headquarters annually ($20 is returned to the chapter for each member).
3. Casino Night summary (Ellen Lord):
- The Casino Night was very successful. There were 200 registrants and 165-170 attended. A small % of DAORN members attended who were not committee members.
- One scholarship winner attended. There is already interest in other scholarship applications.
- Feedback from attendees was very positive. The event will be held again next year.
- Givergy, the on-line platform, will not be used again. Some people were charged twice for registration or silent auction purchases.
4. Awards (Julie)
Ellen Lord has been nominated for the National AORN Educator of the Year award.
5. Member survey (Andine Gilmore)
The board drafted a survey on DAORN attendance needs. A hard copy was distributed at the meeting, and electronic copies are available on ORNurselink, social media sites, the DAORN website, and will be e-mailed to members. The biggest barrier identified by the group was driving time.
6. Nominating (Karen Elliott, Ron Jagersky)
- Final number of delegates to be sent to Surgical Conference and Expo is pending. Once finances are in order there will be more information available.
- Open positions for 2020-2021:
- Board members X2
- Nominating committee X1
7. New Business
- Lauren recommended that certificates of attendance be available at meetings for people who need professional development validation for clinical ladder progression. Julie will draft a certificate and bring to next board meeting for review.
- To make officer information more accessible to members, Karen Elliott will post officer contact information on ORNurselink.
- Julie will explore designing business cards with officer/committee chair contact information, with instructions on how to access ORNurselink on the back of the card.
- We currently use Facebook and Instagram as our social media platforms. Lauren offered to help Andine manage the Instagram account and other social media. She stated that Facebook is not being used as frequently as it once was.
Meeting adjourned 1034.
Julie Mower, DAORN Secretary
Thursday, Sept. 11, 2019
Location: St. Joseph’s Hospital, Denver, CO
Meeting called to order at 1904 by Karen Elliott, President. Attendees were asked to observe a moment of silence for Peggy Camp.
1. Glenn Fricke, Encision, was introduced and thanked for providing dinner and the evening’s education topic, “Improving Outcomes in Laparoscopy through Better Techniques and Technology: A Focus on Electrosurgery.”
2. Minutes are posted on ORNurselink and Chapter website. May 2019 minutes were reviewed and approved.
3. Finance report (Mary Jo) See attached.
4. Casino Night: Ellen has been approached by industry to sponsor one of the gaming tables. Prices are going up for registration after tomorrow. The committee sampled hors oeuvres that will be served. There will be contests with great prizes, and lots of trips (Africa, Mexico). All 4 scholarship recipients have been invited to attend.
4.St. Joseph’s is offering a CNOR prep for cert class in August. A portion of the proceeds were presented to DAORN via Kim Caeser.
3. DAORN membership has decreased to 640 members. Discussion in Town Hall recommended surveying membership to determine best practices for chapter as one way to encourage participation in chapter meetings.
4. Surgical Conference and Expo 2020
a. Nominating committee (Ron Jagersky):
- Submit forms to serve as a delegate to Surgical Conference and Expo (2020) to the nominating committee. Updated sheets will be on the website.
- Consider serving as an officer for the 2020-2021 year. Open positions are:
- Board members x2
- Nominating committee x1
b. A nomination form for the Large Chapter of the Year award is being submitted. Deadline is Dec. 31, 2019. The form must include 3 major accomplishments by the chapter. DAORN accomplishments include:
Collaboration of successful Surgical Smoke bill
Awarding funds to 4 nursing scholarships
Launching a DAORN Facebook page
Nightingale Luminary recipient winner Peggy Camp
c. Ellen Lord has been nominated for the Leader/Educator award.
Submission deadline is October 8, 2019. The award committee is working on this.
d. DAORN can seat 24 delegates. The board will determine funding for delegates. President and President-Elect will serve as funded delegates.
5. Scholarships: Tax-exempt donations may be made directly to the AORN Foundation for Peggy Camp or Bill Lord. Please designate to which fund money is being donated.
6. Policies and board/committee chair positions:
Final revisions are being made to the following: President, President-Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, Board Member, Committee Chair, Awards, Bylaws, Education Committee, Legislative Committee, Membership Committee, and Nominating Committee. The Teller Committee has been absorbed into the Nominating Committee.
7. Accountability standards: Board members are completing the form.
8. Meeting update:
- Kim Caesar is exploring the possibility of the chapter participating in the St. Patrick’s Day parade. Details are pending.
- An application to AORN for $125 to help pay for social event for May installation of officers is being submitted.
9. Spring Workshop: Save the date for Friday, April 17 at the Lowry Convention Center. Please submit ideas for speakers to chairpersons Lesia Hatlestad or Julie Mower. Planning committee will convene beginning in October.
11. Other: Peggy Camp’s family thanked the chapter for sending the flowers and fruit basket during Peggy’s illness.
October 12, 080-1030, Swedish Medical Center
Education: Speaker Victoria Steelman
You are invited to our second DAORN chapter meeting this coming Saturday at:
Swedish Medical Center
501 E Hampden Avenue
Englewood, CO 80113
0800-0830 AM: Breakfast and Networking
0830-0930 AM: Membership Team Building Activities
0930-1015 AM: Business Meeting
Breakfast sponsored by: DAORN
Free parking available in front of the hospital’s main entrance and ER entrance.
If you cannot attend in person, but would like to call in, please dial: 1-866-740-1260; Access Code: 5177749
Please join us for our first DAORN meeting of the new fiscal year at
St. Joseph Hospital
1375 E 19th Ave, Denver, CO 80218
1730-1800 Networking, Dinner
1905-1945 Business Meeting
Education: “Improving Outcomes in Laparoscopy Through Better Techniques and Technology: A Focus on Electrosurgery”
Date: May 9, 2019 HOST FACILITY: Washington Park Grille
Meeting called to order by Peggy Camp, President at 2002
Thank you to sponsors: DAORN President Peggy Camp thanked Jim Stobinski, CEO of CCI, for their support of DAORN. Sandi Lindahl was thanked for her hard work in organizing the May dinner.
April 18th meeting minutes: Approved as written.
Membership: Dinner was a sell-out, with 33 people RSVP’ing for the event. Andine was thanked for her work on promoting DAORN events on social media.
Correspondence: DAORN has been awarded 5-star status by AORN for submission of required chapter accountability documents. Peggy thanked board members who had contributed to preparing and submitting the documents.
AORN Foundation Director, Collette Palmer, was thanked for assistance moving the Bill Lord Scholarship into the Foundation. Collette gave a moving tribute to the care Kim Caesar provided her and her family during surgery as the reason we become nurses.
Committee chair sign-up sheets were passed around with resounding success.
Bill Lord Scholarship update (Ellen Lord): Four scholarship applications have been received. Funds will be awarded based on current system. Moving forward, applications will be processed through the Foundation as either named or endowed scholarships.
Casino Night(Ellen Lord): Casino Night will be held at the Ranch Country Club on Friday, Sept. 20. Note change in date.
Accolades: Peggy Camp is a finalist for the Nightingale Award. DAORN members have purchased a table to support her at the dinner Saturday night, May 11. Jim Stobinski donated a seat for the event.
Thank you: Peggy thanked board and committee chairs for their contributions to the chapter. Julie Mower received the President’s Award.
Meeting adjourned: 2032.
Julie Mower, Secretary
Before we retreat for the summer break, our last meeting of this fiscal year will be held at the Washington Park Grille. Please note that there will be no educational session. A dinner menu has been created and you will be able to pick your appetizer, main entree, and dessert. Checks will be paid separately by each guest. Space is limited, so please RSVP to Sandi Lindahl by MAY 6 via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to see you there!
DAORN MEETING MINUTES
Date: April 18, 2019 HOST FACILITY: The Children’s Hospital, Colorado
Meeting called to order by Peggy Camp, President at 1809
Thank you to sponsors: DAORN President acknowledged Medline and Children’s Hospital for hosting the meeting.
Attendance/Guests(Andine Gilmore): Quorum was established. There were 30 members present, one member attending remotely, and no guests.
March 9th meeting minutes: Approved as written.
Treasurer’s report(Faith Beazer):
General Account $26, 811.77; of this amount, $11,394.68 is pending transfer to Bill Lord Scholarship account, leaving $15, 416.32
Bill Lord Scholarship $1,170.58
Board report(K. Elliott, President-Elect)
Members approved the following changes to the DAORN Bylaws:
Article 6: Delete “And Leadership Development” in title; to read Nominating Committee
- Section 1.A: The Nominating Committee consists of three (3) members. Two (2) members selected inn odd-numbered years and one (1) in even-numbered years, each serving a term of two years.
- Section 2.B.: “National AORN Congress” changed to AORN Global Surgical Conference and Expo.
- Section 1.A.: Delete “and Leadership Development”.
- Section 1.C.: Delete “or Vice President”.
See attached revised bylaws. Updated Bylaws will be posted on ORNurselink and DAORN website.
Nominating(Kathy Doughty, Chair)
2019 slate of officers includes:
President-Elect: Sandi Lindahl
Treasurer: Mary Jo Steiert
Nominating Committee: Ron Jagersky, Joan Blanchard. Toni Cunnings will return as third member of committee.
Board of Directors: Darla Gress
As nominees ran unopposed, no election is needed. New officers should submit a Willingness to Serve form to Karen Elliott or bring to the May meeting.
Ways and Means(Ellen Lord, Chair)
Casino Night date has been changed to Friday, Sept. 20 at the Ranch beginning at 1900. By moving the event to Friday, $1500 was saved.
AORN Foundation (Peggy Camp)
There are two options for funding scholarships:
1. Endowed scholarship, in which the chapter has 5 years to reach the required amount of $25,000. This amount must be reached before scholarships can be awarded from this account.
2. Named scholarship: no minimum amount is required. Scholarship(s) could be awarded every year.
Donors can contribute directly to the AORN Foundation. The Foundation will receive applications and select candidates based on criteria which the DAORN chapter sets. Funds can be designated to the DAORN Scholarship now.
Peggy recommended that we have both options so that scholarship can continue to be awarded while the chapter is building up the endowment.
Spring Workshop(Julie Mower, Co-Chair)
There are 17 vendors and approximately 30 people registered for the Spring Workshop, to be held April 26 at the Lowry Conference Center. AORN’s President Elect, David Wyatt, will be giving the Keynote speech. Hard copies of the brochure were brought to the meeting and are available on DAORN website and ORNurselink.
Informatics (Andine Gilmore)
Facebook and Instagram accounts have been set up as additional sources for sharing DAORN chapter news. Please see Darla, Andine, and Alicia for more details.
Expo(Karen Elliott, President Elect)
- 2019-2020 National Board Election results:
President-elect: David Wyatt
Treasurer: Vangie Dennis
Board of Directors: Nakeisha Archer, Vicki Barnett, William Duffy, and Brenda Larkin
Nominating Committee: Laura Gayton, David Taylor.
- Expo Daily: Mary Jo Steiert was selected for the Achieving a Vision for Patient Safety award.
- Chapter Office Summit
Amy Lynch presented “Let’s Fill That Slate of Officers with (Gulp) Millennials”. Recommendations include considering younger generation’s career expectations, making time count for chapter meetings, and mixing it up between the generations (Baby Boomers, 1946-1965; Gen X, 1965-1980; Millennials, 1980-1998, and Gen Z, 1998-). 62 % of associations are experiencing membership decline. Time is the most valuable commodity, and meetings need to matter. Options include decreasing the number of meetings and adding charitable events (i.e., 5K, Meals on Wheels, Soup Kitchen). Focus on teambuilding through events like wine tours, sporting events, and breweries. Propose a survey of what members want, the desired number of meetings, and activities members are willing to support.
- Colorado sat 14 delegates, 11 from Denver chapter, 2 from Rocky Mountain, and 1 Commuter.
- Colorado is the second state to pass a surgical smoke bill.
- Forum: Concern to bring the Forum back to the members for their voices to be heard as opposed to presentation of reports.
May meeting(Sandi Lindahl)
The May meeting dinner will be held at the Washington Park Grille, 1006 S. Gaylord. The Sun Room has been reserved and holds 30 people. Diners can choose their dinner option and pay by separate check. There is no parking, but complimentary valet service is available. AORN will contribute $200 towards the event.
There will be no education session at the May meeting.
Colorado is the second state to pass a safe surgical smoke bill. It will go into effect May 1, 2021. AORN has a Go Clear award to encourage facilities to go smoke-free.
Project Cure Donation (Gerry Hopkins)
A check for $120 has been mailed to Project C.U.R.E. to aid in the distribution of surgical supplies and equipment to developing countries. This money was donated by members of DAORN at our chapter meeting door prize drawings on January 10, 2019, and February 14, 2019.
New business (Ellen Lord)
Peggy Camp has been nominated for the Nightingale Award. 8 people have signed up to attend the gala and there is room for 2 more. Cost is $180. Contact Ellen Lord if interested in attending and supporting our Chapter President.
Julie Mower, Secretary
DAORN MEETING MINUTES
Date: March 9, 2019 HOST FACILITY: Lowry Surgery Center
Meeting called to order by Peggy Camp, President at 0931
Thank you to sponsors: DAORN President acknowledged Irrimax/Irrisept and Mary Jo Steiert for hosting the meeting.
Attendance/Guests: Quorum established. There were 28 members present and 3 guests.
February 14th meeting minutes approved as written.
General Account $20,207.16
TOTAL ASSETS $31,601.84
Committee Reports (Committee chairs or designees)
- Board report (K. Elliott): Karen will post revisions to Bylaws:
Article 6: Nominating committee: currently states 5 members, will be revised to 3, with 2 being elected on odd years, 1 on even years.
Article 7: Will delete Vice President reference, this is no longer a position
Mary Jo Steiert suggested revising the title of “Nominating Committee” as national AORN did and delete “and Leadership”. See attached revised bylaws.
- Nominating: Kathy Doughty, Chair, absent but need people to run for office for next year. Please contact Kathy if interested.
- By Laws (Chair): See above
- Awards: Sandi Lindahl received award from 2018.
- Education (Sandi Lindahl, Chair): April meeting will be on April 18th,one week later due to Expo.
- Ways and Means (E. Lord, Chair): Casino Night is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 21 with gambling and on-line and Silent Auctions. No cash and carry that evening. Need volunteers for planning committee.
- Informatics: Consider placing DAORN chapter news on Facebook and Instagram. Darla, Andine, and Alicia will plan. This is another avenue for reaching members.
- Legislative (Peggy Camp): Smoke bill unanimously passed Senate Health sub-committee, now will go to Senate floor where it will be read two times. Optimistic it will pass. 20-30 people were there to support the bill.
- Spring Workshop: Flyers were passed out for Workshop on April 26that Lowry Conference Center. Group encouraged to take registration flyers back to work; registration is slow. Vendors can be recruited as well for exhibit hall. Would like at least 4-5 posters submitted. David Wyatt is the keynote speaker, and Julie Cahn will review updates to the AORN Guidelines.
- Expo: Delegates were reminded to see Karen Elliott for hotels and to sign up to volunteer at chapter fund-raising table.
- Chapter philanthropy: Andine Gilmore presented information on Living Well showers, which provide shower trailers for the homeless. There is one at St. Joseph’s and one at Civic Center Park. Volunteers are needed to pass out toiletry kits, give directions, and helping afterwards. Andine will collect names and coordinate small groups. Sign up sheet for times (usually mornings) Monday, Thursday, and Friday.
New business: Mary Jo Steiert reminded group that the national AORN election starts Monday 3-11-2019 through 4-9-2019. Our own Katherine Halverson-Carpenter is running for the Board of Directors. Our previous DAORN member, David Wyatt, is running for President-Elect.
Sandi Lindahl (Substitute)