DAORN CHAPTER BUSINESS MEETING MINUTES
Date: Nov. 10, 2011 HOST FACILITY: Presbyterian/ St. Luke’s
Meeting called to order by R. Loptien, President-Elect, at 1800
Host and dinner sponsors: Rebecca thanked Presbyterian/St. Luke’s for hosting the meeting and IMS for sponsoring the dinner and education offering.
Guests were introduced and welcomed.
1. Approval of business meeting minutes R. Loptien
Minutes were approved as written by members present.
2. Correspondence R. Loptien
The chapter received a thank-you from the AORN Foundation for its $500 donation
3. Treasurer’s report K. Underberg
||Bill Lord Scholarship Fund
The net profit from the Fall workshop will be split with the Rocky Mountain Chapter for Healthcare Central Service personnel.
4. Committee Reports (Committee chairs or designees)
- Fall workshop, Education (Peggy Camp)
Peggy thanked all the volunteers and attendees at the Fall workshop. The speakers were of very high quality. She expects more vendors’ fees to be deposited.
- Nominating (Kathy Doughty): 12 delegates will be sent to the 2012 AORN Congress. Kathy reminded Mary Jo Steiert and Marge Utz to turn in their point sheets to her. Delegates are:
Kathy Doughty Terri Russell
Eileen Havey Mary Jo Steiert
Ron Jagersky Marge Utz
Rebecca Loptien Barb Wiens
Ellen Lord Tammy Woolley
Geri Pesek Barb Youngberg
The delegates were approved by members present. The requirements for points acquisition were reviewed. A delegate must have been a member for 1 year prior to nomination.
- OR Nurse Week (Nancy Johnson): Nancy thanked the volunteers for OR Nurse Day at the Museum of Nature and Science. The exhibit enjoyed a huge turnout. More volunteers will be needed for pm shift next year.
- Awards: (Mary Jo Steiert): AORN individual award deadline is Nov. 12.
- Membership (Susan Younger): DAORN has 536 members; 38 were present. 10 guests were introduced; 8 were from P/SL Periop 101 course.
- Research (Sheila Liston): Sheila presented an article on preop fasting article which found that ASA recommendations are not being followed. Healthy patients may have clear liquids up to 2 hours before surgery. The article will be on-line.
- Raffle (Gerry Hopkins): Fabulous merchandise is available for the raffle tonight, as well as King Soopers Coupons.
- 60 year celebration (Eileen Fraser): Megadyne is offering a donation to offset the cost of the dinner. More donations are welcome; Eileen encouraged members to talk with their vendors. It was recommended to charge $10/person; 50 year AORN members will be invited as guests. A proposed site for dinner is the Arvada Center. Details will be finalized at the Feb. meeting. Check the DAORN website for more details. Vendors should contact Eileen Fraser. She will put a sample letter on the website that members can download to give to their vendors. Peggy Camp will send the letter to vendors from fall workshop.
- Education grant (Barb Hershelman): The next deadline for applications is Jan. 20th. Contact Barb for a hard copy until they are available online. Lesia Hatelstad was awarded a grant for $500 to go towards her Master’s program.
Barb Youngberg: Project Cure is looking for people to go on needs assessment visits to other countries. Talk to Barb Youngberg or go to ProjectCure.org for more information. Volunteers are also needed at the warehouse.
Next meeting: Feb. St. Anthony West
Meeting adjourned at 1827
Educational offering: Instruments of Mercy, presented by Gene Robinson
J. Mower, Secretary